A family of five is homeless after a fire tore through a duplex in Waterville Thursday evening.
Ross Corner resident Luke Eddy said his brother Mark Eddy and his wife are beside themselves after losing everything in the fire.
“It’s totally gone,” said Eddy about the gutted home. “What isn’t burned is water damaged or smoke damaged.
“They’re staying at mom and dad’s house. They didn’t even make it out with an extra pair of underwear. The family and the dogs, that’s all that made it out.”
But Eddy said he’s thankful that no one was hurt, including two little girls ages seven and nine. The other sibling, a 17-year-old boy, was not home at the time of the incident.
Kevin Ernest, spokesman for Waterville & District Fire Department, told the Kings County Register that the blaze was reported at about 8:45 p.m. on Thursday.
“There were four people living on one side and three on the other. The family of four, paramedics did see them at the scene and transported them to hospital for further assessment,” said Ernest.
Each of the family members spent the night in hospital for smoke inhalation and were released at about 4 a.m., said Eddy. He said because of icy conditions it took 15 minutes for fire crews to arrive. The other duplex was unoccupied at the time of the fire, said Eddy.
He said he’s hoping the public will help his brother’s family get back on their feet.
“They can help in any which way. They need the basics. Any support would be so appreciated.”
Eddy said he spoke to his brother Friday morning but got word of the fire at about 8:30 p.m. on Thursday. Eddy, a long-haul truck driver, is currently in Montreal and on his way home to be with the family.
He said it’s believed the fire started in the chimney.
“They were lying down with their two daughters, trying to get them settled down for bed and then (my brother’s wife) heard the dogs outside howling non-stop.”
Once outside she noticed smoke pouring out of the home.
“My brother opened up the wood stove, tried to spray it with the fire extinguisher but it was just so raging hot. They got the family out and the two dogs. By then they saw the flames shooting from the roof.
“They just don’t know what to do. The SPCA took in the dogs for the night but they have to be out of there today.
“But it’s only material possessions, those can be replaced. I’m just glad they’re okay.”
People who would like to assist the family can reach Eddy at firstname.lastname@example.org.